Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Maybe Christmas Should Be Glitzy... Sort Of



“We have taken away the manger of clay and replaced it with a crib of silver… He who was born in that manger cared nothing for gold and silver… I marvel at the Lord, the Creator of the universe, who is born, not surrounded by gold and silver, but by mud and clay.” - St. Jerome (taken from "Proclaiming the Christmas Gospel")

This passage, taken from a sermon delivered 1600 years ago, is one of my favorites of all time. It fires up my spirit to take on the consumer culture, pleading for a simpler Advent season both in the world around me and in my own spirit.  Jerome reminds me of Christ's robust humility in a way few preachers have done since.  I can point to him and say, "See we have been battling the glitz and glam of the season for centuries!"  And I want to hold up Jerome's example and words, even as I am about to argue against them.

An area of my life sorely lacking is the area of wonder and appreciation of beauty.  One would think that, living in Northern Michigan, I would have many natural opportunities for wonder.  And yet I don't take them.  I can think of a few times where I have been sufficiently wowed.  

For many others, Christmas is a unique time to take in the breadth of the artistic experience.  It's the only time I listen to classical music, for example, although musicians tell emotional stories of Christmas in almost every genre.  Visual artists, both professional and amateur, tell the story of the Light of the World by adding lights to dark places.  Even the acrobatic arts, made popular by Cirque du Soleil, find a welcome home in Christmas circuses.

We all need Jerome's words to remind us of the simplicity and humility of the season.  And let's also remember that glitz and dirt, royalty and poverty, and beauty and simplicity meet and kiss on Christmas Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment