Thursday, January 16, 2014

Why I Studied Religion and Read Books I Don't Like

"If you believe one religion, why do you study all the rest of them? And how long does that take?"

Thus said a young girl in a World History class. You see, one of the opportunities I get as pastor in Glen Lake is the chance to talk about world religions in a middle school classroom.  For one week (and usually an additional day or two), I get to talk about the three big monotheistic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) and teach their history, beliefs and practices.  I pride myself on the fact that, when I am done, the students have to ask if I believe in any of them.  Objectivity, especially in a public school setting, is key. 

But the question, "Why study the rest of them?" intrigued me. But without much hesitation, I drew a big circle on the board.  And what I said went something like this:

"Imagine that this circle represents everything you know.  You are a smart class, so I bet your circle is pretty big.  However, this board represents everything you could know.  The board is a lot bigger than the circle.  Everything outside the circle is my ignorance, the stuff I don't know. And everything violent I ever do, I do because I'm ignorant.  I'm ignorant about how my actions will affect someone, I am ignorant because I don't understand someone.  If I am going to be loving and kind to my neighbor, then shouldn't I want to understand them the best that I can?"  The students were nodding.  Mission accomplished.

But that got me thinking... that's not a bad philosophy.  Perhaps if someone from my church would ask why I have non-Christians on my bookshelf or why I read books from authors with whom I have disagreement, I would add this little caveat:

"I don't believe in dangerous questions.  I don't believe in dangerous inquiry.  I believe Jesus when He said that He wouldn't lose anyone God had given Him.  I believe that the search for Truth will be accompanied by the Spirit of Truth. And so I don't believe in dangerous questions.  I do believe in dangerous inability to ask or follow questions.  Violence comes from ignorance, yes, but violence comes even greater from enforcing ignorance."

And so I uphold my commitment to read books I don't like (although I find remarkable agreement even in the books I don't like!).  And I uphold a commitment to understand other religions from their own perspective- not because I want to dishonor all faiths by picking and choosing the parts I like, but because I believe I have to know my neighbor to love my neighbor.  Or at the very least, I have to want to know my neighbor to love my neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment